Junkrat is a defense hero who excels at area of effect attacks, damaging enemies with his wide variety of explosive weaponry. His traps can block off corridors and pathways from enemy attacks, allowing him to blanket an area with a multitude of grenades.
Frag Launcher is Junkrat's primary weapon, firing grenades in an arc that can bounce off surfaces and explode either on enemy contact or after a short period of time. While it is difficult to aim, its indirect fire is capable of blanketing an area in explosions to damage enemies passing by. Fair warning, Junkrat is not immune to damage from the grenades, so be careful when aiming close by.
Concussion Mine throws a mine that sticks to a solid surface, which Junkrat can later detonate using his secondary fire. Though enemies can destroy the mine, its high damage and knockback are capable of taking out weaker heroes or sending bigger ones flying into a nearby pit. Junkrat also takes no damage from the explosion, which he can use to propel himself upwards to previously inaccessible locations.
Steel Trap throws a bear-trap on the ground that traps an enemy in it for a brief period of time. While capable of dealing damage, it's best used to block passageways and open the door for a devastating follow-up attack while they can't move.
RIP-Tire is Junkrat's ultimate. Upon use, Junkrat revs up a motorized tire bomb that he can control, with the ability to remote detonate it at any point. Two caveats: Junkrat is completely defenseless while he is using the attack and the tire can be destroyed by enemies if enough damage is dealt. But by utilizing the bomb's ability to climb walls, Junkrat can maneuver the bomb to ambush enemies from where they least expect it.
If Junkrat dies, he will use his passive Total Mayhem to drop a bundle of grenades at his feet, which can catch enemies off-guard and allow him to secure a kill from beyond the grave.
When is Junkrat a good choice?
While Junkrat's attacks are capable of dealing a great deal of damage, it takes a lot of practice to accurately fire grenades. Instead, Junkrat is best used to fire at areas, as the splash damage on most of his attacks make an area dangerous to travel through.
Junkrat is a good choice when:
- The team needs to prevent an enemy from travelling through a set area
- The enemy team has a Bastion or Torbjörn, as Junkrat's grenades are great at taking out emplacements
- The team could use a hero to harass the enemy from a distance
Junkrat can be difficult to play when:
- On escort maps, the mobile objective is harder to defend then control points
- The enemy team has snipers or Pharah, who Junkrat can not easily hit due to distance
Junkrat excels in areas where:
- There are only one or two routes where the enemy can attack, such as the first chokepoint on Temple of Anubis
- He can use side routes to flank enemies with RIP-Tire, such as Hanamura
- He can harass enemies by firing over obstacles and walls, such as Route 66
Preston Dozsa is a news editor for theScore esports whose journalism idol is Dino Ghiranze. You can follow him on Twitter.